Contact Soapy Sudbury if you have additional information or to add a tribute
'58 Sandies
Remembering Bill

Ronnie Weaver: AHS 58 Sandies Chat Site
Below you will find the tribute originally posted in memory of my friend d AHS 1958 graduate William (Bill) Clifton Marsh in August 2004. I want to add a recent experience to those comments with this. In late February 2005 the traveling replica of the Vietnam Wall was exhibited in from of the new Sugar Land, Texas Town Hall. Having visited the Wall in Washington DC on two previous occasions I was still anxious to visit the replica to pay my respects to Bill and others with whom I served. As I stood in front of the Wall for the third time I experienced those numerous familiar yet again surprising emotions unique to standing in the presence of that Wall. As I was about to leave panel 41E where Bill's name is inscribed it suddenly occurred to me that the date was 25 February, 2005, exactly 37 years since Bill was killed. He would have been 65 years old on 26 February, 2005.

Bill Marsh was a good friend throughout Austin Junior High and AHS. Bill was a member of the United States Marine Corp Reserve while we were in high school. After numerous years in the reserve he volunteered for active duty in Vietnam and extended his tour after serving in thecountry for one year. Bill was killed during the last day of the battle for Hue that followed the TET offensive of 1968.

Bill was well known by nuns at an orphanage in Da Nang where he was the most active member of "Civic Action, Operation Orphanage". The nuns there loved him as he somehow was able to provide them with just about anything they absolutely needed. He was constantly having necessary items shipped to the Orphanage from his home in Amarillo.

He made the ultimate sacrifice fighting for a cause that he believed was just. He was survived by his wife, two children, two brothers and his father.

The Virtual Wall: 22 Jun 2001

William Clifton Marsh
Staff Sergeant
United States Marine Corps
26 February 1940 - 25 February 1968
Amarillo, Texas
Panel 41E Line 024

I would just like to share a few words on what a great man our Uncle William (Bill) was - he always had a smile on his face and liked to joke around. He also left 2 young children: William Leroy and Kelli Michelle.  He served his county for 10 years in the Marines. While he was in the Combined Action Program he served in Operation Orphanage in Da Nang. He would have his family in Texas send him things for the orphans. He died truly a hero for his country and we miss him very much. For all those men and women who served this country for our freedom and for those loved ones who waited for their return "God bless you".

From all your loving family.

Bill was awarded the Silver Star
The nation's third highest award
for bravery
Thomas O. Meyer Sr., 64, of Amarillo died Saturday, March 13, 2004.

Memorial services will be at 3 p.m. Monday in Cox Funeral Home Benton Chapel, 4180 Canyon Drive, with the Rev. G.A. Roach, of Northwest Texas Healthcare Systems, officiating.

Mr. Meyer was born and raised in Amarillo and was a graduate of Amarillo High School. He attended Amarillo College and was a graduate of Texas Tech University. He married Charlotte Whiddon on June 7, 1963, in Amarillo.

He was a physicist for many years, working for the Bureau of Mines in Spokane, Wash., as well as Amarillo, before going to work for Pantex in 1977. He continued his work for Pantex until the time of his death.

He was a brilliant inventor who wrote six different patents. He was also a very loving husband and father. He was a Christian man who had the honor of leading many souls to Christ.

Survivors include his wife; a daughter, Jeni Meyer of Amarillo; a son, Tom Meyer Jr. of Amarillo; and his dog, Bogie.

The family suggests memorials be to the Huntington's Disease Society of America, 158 W. 29th Ave., Seventh Floor, New York, NY 10001-5300 or to Crown of Texas Hospice.
Visitation will be at 919 S. Crockett St.

Amarillo Globe-News, March 14, 2004
Jerral D. McDonald, 61, of Amarillo, died Thursday, June 14, 2001.

Services will be at 1 p.m. Monday in Blackburn-Shaw Funeral Directors Memorial Chapel, Fifth Avenue and Pierce Street, with the Rev. Albert Green of Lancaster Baptist Church in Lancaster officiating. Burial will be in Llano Cemetery.

Mr. McDonald was born in Amarillo. He graduated from Amarillo High School in 1958. He worked at Conchas Dam, N.M., at the South Dock Concessions. He was co-owner of Panhandle Welding and superintendent for Superior Mechanical.

Survivors include three daughters, Brenda Matlock, Ginger Michaels and Vickie Urton, all of Amarillo; his mother, Geraldine McDonald of Amarillo; two brothers, Tommy McDonald and Sidney McDonald, both of Amarillo; and six grandchildren.

The family suggests memorials be to BSA Hospice, P.O. Box 950, Amarillo, TX 79176; or a favorite charity.

The family will be at 4013 Tucson Drive.

Amarillo Globe-News June 17, 2001
'He loved the cowboy tradition'
ROBERT N. McKENZIE  1939-2005
By Paul Bourgeois
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

ALEDO - Bob McKenzie made a living as a property tax consultant, but in his heart he was a cowboy. He bred and raised longhorns at his place in Aledo. When Fort Worth was organizing the Fort Worth Herd, the daily cattle drive in and around the Stockyards, he donated two of his best steers. Mr. McKenzie helped organize the Great American Cattle Drive. He and other cowboys drove 250 Texas longhorns 1,500 miles from Fort Worth to Miles City, Mont., in 1995.

Mr. McKenzie also represented Place 2 on the Aledo school board.

He died Sunday after a long struggle with diabetic neuropathy and kidney disease. He was 65.

"He was courageous and single-minded, and he never complained," said attorney Dub Stocker, a friend since 1990. "He was a unique character. He loved the cowboy tradition and the cattle-rancher vision."

Robert N. McKenzie was born in Fort Worth on Dec. 30, 1939, to Billie and Grady McKenzie, who moved to Amarillo when he was a toddler. He attended Texas Tech, Texas Christian University and the Oklahoma University School of Management. He worked in the West Texas oil fields for a time. He moved his family to Fort Worth in the mid- to late 1960s and then to Aledo about 25 years ago.

Clay McKenzie said his dad loved his work and was considered an authority on commercial property taxes.

Mr. McKenzie was once an avid quail hunter. Reading was a favored pastime as well. The home he shared with Mary Mike, his wife of 38 years, was filled with books. Some were mysteries and Westerns, but many were about history, particularly the Civil War.

Linda Anderson said that she and her husband, Jerry, were friends with Mr. McKenzie and Mary Mike for 40 years and joined them in their many travels to Civil War battlefields and other sites. She added that he loved to play with his grandchildren.Anderson said Mr. McKenzie was a compassionate and often quiet man. "Whatever he put his mind to, he succeeded at," Anderson said.

Clay McKenzie said his dad liked things done his way and didn't give a hoot what people thought about him. Comfort was important. He'd wear jeans to weddings. "When it was time to change jobs, he wouldn't take a job if it involved wearing a tie." Clay McKenzie said his dad wouldn't think of missing one of his football or soccer games when Clay was young.

Mr. McKenzie was a director of Citizens National Bank of Fort Worth and was a member of the Texas Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association, the advisory committee of the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation and the Old Time Texas Trail Drivers Association...."

Remembering Robert

Ron Mayberry AHS 58 Sandies Chat Site
"....Robert was one of my dearest friends that I have ever had. We started running around together in the 10 grade and it lasted up till now.  I went to the funeral and I am really glad that I went.  It was one of the most uplifting funerals that I have ever attended.  Four people from Robert's past gave testimony concerning his life.  His son was the last and it almost broke my heart.  I felt so good for Robert's life after the funeral that I had to tell all of you.  Larry McFather and Luis Henderson attended the funeral also.  Two things that really hit me hard.  The four speakers at the funeral made it clear how much Robert had meant to their lives plus a full house in the Methodist Church made it clear how one of our own, [ a 1958 Sandie] made such an impact on other people lives.  That clearly made me think how we all have changed so much, how we all have impacted so many lives, and we are all are still  sharing life experiences and still caring about each other.  I think that is special, and Robert would of thought that was special.  He was a true Sandie at heart, and loved all of you. "

Pete Meador: AHS 58 Sandies Chat Site
"If ever there was a nicer and more decent guy than Robert McKenzie, I can't imagine who it would be. Goodbye, Robert. "

Sylvia Ramsey Askew: AHS 58 Sandies Chat Site
"What a great friend he was to us.  I corresponded with him faithfully when he went off to Tech after our senior year.  When Mark and I got married in Jan. of '59, I guess our writing back and forth just about quit.  He was always really crazy about Mary Mike.  What I would give to have some of those old letters.  He was like a brother to me!  We saw them at reunions I guess, but I sure never knew about him being so interested in Longhorn cattle.  Quite an interesting obituary.  We are really saddened by our loss of him..... "

Ginger Gilbert Clark: AHS 58 Sandies Chat Site
"I'm sure there must have been conversations regarding the passing of Robert McKenzie.  Both Pete and Soapy were kind enough to let me know.  Although I knew he was ill, I didn't realize the magnitude of what he was going through.  Mary Mike and Robert had visited us in Sacramento just last summer and we had a wonderful time. He was quite the storyteller - his style much like that of Mark Twain - and my husband loved being around him.   Robert, whom I lovingly called "McNasty", and I had remained close through the years since graduating from AHS.  When our daughter graduated from ASU Robert took the time to write her, offering humorous and profound advice for the future.  He was a prolific writer and deep thinker.  Like many of you who knew him well, I miss his presence deeply."

25 January 1940 - March 1975
Wm. Clifton "Bill" Marsh
Robert McKenzie
Jerral McDonald
Geary McCaulley
Jeff Minton
Bill Micou
Tommy Meyer
Bobbie Carroll Meacham
Dale Martin
Lydia Ann Matthews
Sandra McAlister
Laura Morrow
After a long and inspiring battle with multiple sclerosis, Laura Morrow Hudson died suddenly of complications on October 9, 2009. At her side was her ever attentive husband, Barry Hudson, her son Kirk Hudson and daughter-in-love Kelly.

Her deep faith in Jesus gives us confidence that she is truly at rest. We are grateful for the legacy she has left of love and devotion to her family and friends and to sharing the good news of Jesus’ love. Her life has been an inspiration and a wonderful example of dependence on Him in the most difficult of circumstances.

Laura was born in Pampa, TX, on January 6, 1940 to Rachel and Blue Morrow. She attended school in Ada, OK, where she made friends that would bless her throughout her life. The biannual gatherings of “The Peppers” were always a joy she looked forward to.

She graduated from the University of Oklahoma with a degree in business education. Laura was a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. After graduating, Laura was married on June 10, 1961, to her college sweetheart.

In 1964, Barry and Laura moved to Bartlesville where her life took on new meaning with the birth of her first son, Kent. Later would follow another son, Kirk, and a daughter, Susan. Laura’s legacy of devotion to her children took on many forms throughout their growing up years: countless hours as homeroom mom, endless carpools, and tirelessly cheering them on in their sporting events.

When not serving her family, Laura found many ways to bless her community.

She served many years as an Assistant Teaching Leader for Community Bible Study, encouraging Bartlesville women to love the Word that had changed her life so much. Laura was a founding board member of K-Life of Bartlesville. The heartbeat of K-Life lies in the ability to build relationships with kids and bring the content of God’s word to bear on those relationships. This was Laura’s heartbeat as well. After praying for over ten years, it was a joy to see it come to fruition.

It continued to be a joy for her to hear from families who are blessed by the ministry of K-Life today. In 1991, life took an unexpected turn, when after 30 years, Barry’s job relocated them to Edmond, OK. It was an unexpected move, but one that has been an unbelievable blessing. Laura continued ministering to women through Bible Study Fellowship. And with all her kids grown and married, Laura began to fully embrace her new found role as “Granna.”

She could often be heard proudly sharing the grandkids accomplishments from singing “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” to graduating from high school with honors and everything in between.

She was always there to cheer them on. It was also during this time that new and old friendships began to grow and deepen.

As her physical health declined and daily living became harder, Laura and Barry leaned on the support of the best friends anyone could have.

The love and care they have received has been more of a blessing to them than anyone could know. Laura is survived by her husband, Barry; her children: Kent Hudson of Bixby, OK, Kirk Hudson and his wife, Kelly, of Tyler, TX; her daughter, Susan Nickish and her husband, Kirk, of Hamilton, MT. And, perhaps most importantly her beloved grandchildren: Konner, Kameron, Kalloway, Kandace, KJ, Kory, Karissa and Karoline. A memorial service will be held at Faith Bible Church in Edmond at 2 p.m. Tuesday, October 13th. In lieu of flowers the family asks that contributions be sent to K-Life of Bartlesville, PO Box 3994 Bartlesville, OK 74005. Services are under the direction of Matthews Funeral Home, Edmond, OK